Sustainability & Conservation Manager
Batu Batu Resort, Pulau Tengah is looking for a SUSTAINABILITY & CONSERVATION MANAGER to work closely with the Resort’s Owners and General Manager in developing, planning and implementing a multi-year island-wide sustainability & conservation strategy.
Create and implement all environmental / sustainability policies to cover six KEY AREAS:
- Marine conservation – turtles, marine mammals, reefs, marine plastics
- Water consumption, use, re-use
- Reduction of fossil fuels and monitoring of carbon footprint
- Resort waste and recycling management
- Sustainable food and kitchen practices
- Education and outreach programmes for staff teams and local communities
The resort has already started work and identified partners on some of these Key Areas. You will be expected to:
- Work closely and manage relationships with key partners and stakeholders to deliver on the six KEY AREAS of Conservation and Sustainability.
- Continue to network and identify potential new partners to help the resort progress in development of KEY AREA targets.
- Investigate potential sources of external funding.
- Manage the Conservation and Sustainability Team including in-house Marine Biologist, Turtle Watch Camp Project Coordinator, and the Education and Outreach Manager.
- Oversee the existing works of the Turtle Watch Camp project.
Bridge the gap between the Resort Operations Teams, and the Conservation and Sustainability Projects – bringing these plans to reality:
- Create road maps and targets for the development, implementation of deliverables across the six Key Areas;
- Create Standard Operational Procedures for new sustainable operations together with General Manager and Head of Department;
- Manage the implementation of sustainable practices in the resort operation with the resort team;
- Monitor data and outputs relating to sustainability and conservation projects;
- Maintain records relating to sustainability and conservation projects;
- Produce a monthly report on data and outputs from all sustainability and conservation projects for internal use.
- Produce an annual report on sustainability and conservation projects for internal use and external distribution.
Tell the stories, spread the word and roll-out guest initiatives on both Sustainability and Conservation:
- Curate and run a programme for guests of Batu Batu Resort (both children and adults) on Sustainability and Conservation so they leave at the end of their holiday with an increased understanding of local and global issues around sustainability and conservation.
- Liaise with Social Media Manager to ensure the right stories are told.
- Investigate ways of documenting the journey to enhanced sustainability.
The successful candidate will be qualified as follows:
- Degree in Marine Biology, Ecology or related subject;
- At least 5 years work-experience in conservation / sustainability or related field;
- Management experience preferable;
- Self-driven, able to work hard, take initiative, drive the project forward;
- Structured, organised with experience in monitoring and managing projects;
- Competent swimmer and certified scuba diver;
- Able to live and work on a remote island without frequent access to town / city life
- Fluency in English is required. Ability to speak Bahasa Malay/Indonesia is an asset.
Salary: Basic Salary + Food + Accommodation in Batu Batu Resort’s unshared staff accommodation. Basic salary details can be provided on enquiry.